Early Christian Necropolis and Museum
The early Christian necropolis of Tarragona is a late Roman funerary complex used between the middle of the 3rd and the 5th centuries AD. It was discovered in 1923 when the foundations for the new tobacco factory were being laid. The cemetery has 2,051 tombs in a wide diversity of styles, making it the most important early Christian necropolis in the Western Mediterranean. The site is managed by the National Archaeological Museum of Tarragona and is part of the Roman Tarraco archaeological complex declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000.